Understanding your Speed
Click each step to see the action. You can also click the picture or use the arrow keys.
- There are various factors which can influence your speed. In this section we teach you how to diagnose a problem with your line.
- 1. The two main factors which can affect speed are the speed coming down the cable into your property from outside and the WiFi signal within your home.
- 2. Line speeds will vary depending on where you live and may vary by customer.
- 3. However there are some simple changes you can make to your WiFi Signal which can greatly improve the speed you experience
- 4. First of all we need to know if it's a problem with your WiFi or your line by running a series of speed tests
- 5. Test your speed over a WiFi connection using our speedtest widget and note down your current speed. You'll then use this as a comparison after carrying out the next steps.
- 6. You'll then need to test your speed over a wired connection. To do this, make sure your modem is connected to the main phone socket.
- 7. Then, connect your computer or laptop directly to your modem with the yellow ethernet cable which came in the box with your modem and turn off your Wi-Fi in order to ensure that no other devices are connected wirelessly.
- 8. Cease any active downloads or running applications and close all browser windows and other devices.
- 9. Retest your speed.
- 10. If you find that your speed has improved over a wired connection we recommend taking the rest of our speed tutorial to ensure your WiFi connection is working correctly. Click the Back button to return to the main menu
- 11. If you find your speed is still slower than expected then we recommend chatting with a member of our Customer care team or you can call 1890 260 260.